Hi! I’m Sable.
First, a little about me.
I have been a helper since a young age. I’ve always been fascinated with people’s stories and have always believed in the good of people. Some of my earliest memories are of advocating for others.
The “spark” of passion to work with those who have experienced loss, crisis, and trauma began in my undergraduate Victimology class and was further fueled in my work as a Victim Services program manager in several of the Suburbs of Chicago.
Along my journey I experienced my own trauma and suddenly found myself on the other side of the couch following the death of my first daughter in childbirth. I know firsthand the experience of walking into a room with a stranger, and the courage and vulnerability it takes to do so. My grief and healing rooted a strong meaning in me. It has strengthened my intuition, compassion, and desire to provide my clients with a sacred space to be seen for who they truly are, heard for what they are truly saying, and validated without fear of judgment, punishment, or abandonment.
In my spare time I enjoy chasing my living daughter around, spending time with my husband, wishfully cheering for the Chicago Bears, wandering the aisles at Target, and tracking down Chicago-style food in the DFW metroplex.
“Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.” – Helen Keller
Areas of Expertise and Clinical Focus
- Pregnancy and Infant Loss
- Pregnancy and Parenting after Loss
- Perinatal Mental Health
- Crisis Response
- Grief and Bereavement
- Working with Therapists, First Responders, and Healthcare Workers
- Clinical Supervision and Consultation
Treatment Modalities and Theory:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Trauma Informed Care and Trauma Focused Care
- Mind/Body Techniques
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Psychodynamic Theory
- Attachment Theory
State Licenses and Education
- Texas Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Supervisor (LCSW-S) #60728
- Arkansas Licensed Certified Social Worker (LCSW) #12345-C
- Illinois Licensed Clinical Social Worker #149014910 (inactive)
- Masters of Social Work, Aurora University, 2009
- Bachelors of Social Work, William Woods University, 2008
Areas of Specialized Training
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) - Trained 2021, Certified 2023
- EMDR Consultant in Training (in consultation with Dr. Mara Tesler Stein), 2023
- Trained in Perinatal Mental Health, 2020
- Certified in Perinatal Mental Health (PMH-C), 2023
- The Advanced Practice of EMDR for Perinatal and Infant Mental Health
- Empty Cradle, Broken Hearts: Working with Bereaved Families
- NICU Parenting: Working with Families in the NICU and Beyond
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Clinical Trauma Professional
- Critical Incident Stress Management, Debriefing, and Diffusing (CISM-D)
- Clinical Social Work Supervision and Consultation
My Philosophy and Approach to Your Care
One of the most basic principles of Social Work is that of “Person in Environment” which alludes to the fact that people are not separate from outside influence but instead rely on their environment, or their own village, to contribute to the person’s sense of self. According to Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs, a sense of belonging is only second to our basic needs for food, water, and safety.
When we struggle in our life we turn to our “village” for help, validation, and motivation to keep moving forward. I believe strongly that the therapeutic relationship – the relationship between you and your therapist – is crucial to your achievement in meeting your goals. I will be your partner in meeting your goals and strengthening and building your own village. We all need a village. It would be my highest honor and privilege to be part of yours!
You bring a unique and valuable experience into my practice; my job is to facilitate and guide you as you self-discover. In my practice, you will receive cutting-edge treatment with a trauma focused emphasis to unveil and heal the answers you already have within you. I celebrate all of the incredibly hard work that you have done so far on your journey; and I will walk with you, step by step, gently encouraging your continued growth.
My approach to the counseling experience is warm, inviting and collaborative in nature. I use a body-centered, "bottom up" trauma focused approach to counseling uniquely tailored for each individual. I strongly believe that “health” encompasses mental and emotional health alongside physical health and wellness. I strive to support people achieve what healthy looks like for them, and I believe that every body is a good body and every one deserves to feel good in their body.
I realize it is difficult to reach out to ask for help. If you will consider taking this step, I commit to being present with you and offering you a place of safety and compassion to work through your life challenges.